From the buttery flaky pie crust to the juicy cinnamon-spiced peach filling, there’s little doubt this would be the greatest peach pie you’ll ever eat. Style testers and readers have beloved this recipe since 2018 as a result of every slice is bursting with peaches that maintain their texture. I like to recommend a little bit recent ginger for additional taste, and don’t neglect the vanilla ice cream!
If summertime had been a pie, it will most actually be this recent peach pie. We’re making the most of the season’s considerable bounty of peaches and mixing them with recent ginger, heat cinnamon spice, and a touch of lemon to maintain the flavour vibrant. After one style, you’ll neglect all different peach pies exist.
Right here’s Precisely Why This Peach Pie Recipe Works
From-scratch pie may be onerous work, so my workforce and I repeatedly examined this pie so the outcomes are value your effort and time. The recipe is strictly the identical as the favored authentic just a few years in the past—flavorful and recent—nonetheless, we up to date the baking directions so the filling units much more. (Peaches are so juicy!) The baking directions now resemble this blueberry pie.
To ensure that this recipe to work, you have to (1) lower your peaches into chunks as a substitute of slices, (2) keep away from overly mushy or bruised peaches, (3) embrace a bubbling-juicy-messy pie filling, and (4) let it cool utterly to ensure that the filling to totally arrange. This pie takes a number of hours, however I promise you: it’s value it. Prepare for essentially the most unbelievable, juicy-yet-sliceable peach pie expertise:
Begin With Pie Crust
You should use your favourite pie dough recipe, however I encourage you to strive mine. To make excellent selfmade pie crust, I exploit a mixture of shortening and butter as a result of the 2 substances work collectively to make an unbeatable texture. Butter provides taste and flakiness, whereas shortening’s excessive melting level retains the crust tender and workable. (Right here’s my recipe for all butter pie crust when you’re interested by making an attempt that one as a substitute.)
Pie crust ideas:
- Make the pie dough forward of time as a result of it wants to relax within the fridge for at the least 2 hours earlier than you’ll be able to work with it.
- The recipe yields 2 crusts—one for the underside and one for the highest—which is what you want for this pie.
- You don’t have to par-bake the crust as a result of this pie bakes for therefore lengthy.
- As a result of there’s a little bit shortening within the dough, it holds form nicely, and you’ll even braid it. See recipe Word beneath to copy this design, and right here’s my full methods to braid pie crust tutorial.
For those who’re not up for the braiding problem, you’ll be able to merely lattice thick strips of pie dough. Now let’s speak in regards to the peaches.
What Are the Greatest Peaches for Peach Pie?
One of the best recent peaches for peach pie are the identical I like to recommend for peach bread. You need barely agency (not onerous) peaches with zero bruises or mushy spots. Your greatest guess is to buy or choose about 10 agency peaches (about 3 kilos), then allow them to sit in a paper bag for 1–2 days to ripen. Some might have mushy spots after this time, so that’s the reason I counsel shopping for a pair greater than you really want.
In case your peaches are mushy, stringy, and mushy, your filling will style mushy, stringy, and mushy. Eat any overly mushy peaches or save them for peach muffins. They’re NOT preferrred in pie.
Can I Use Frozen Peaches in Peach Pie?
Contemporary peaches are greatest for peach pie, although you will get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen peaches, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches are usually not preferrred as a result of they’re already too mushy and mushy.
#1 Success Tip: Use Chunks, Not Slices
Not like apple pie the place you peel and lower apples into slices, lower your peeled peaches into small (approx. 1-inch) chunks right here. As a result of peaches are so juicy, slices bake into mush, whereas chunks retain extra of their deliciously mushy texture. The identical tip applies for peach cobbler.
Success Ideas for Peeling & Slicing Peaches
- Have a trusty peeler available. I like this OXO peeler as a result of it’s versatile and simple to carry.
- You possibly can place the peaches in a pot of boiling water for just a few seconds to loosen the pores and skin. Use a slotted spoon to take away the peaches and place them on a plate or in a bowl. The peel ought to simply come off. I discovered this trick from Style of Residence, so learn extra over there!
- Once I don’t use the boiling water trick, I simply use my peeler and ensure to rinse it and my arms typically with water as a result of every part begins to get a little bit slippery from the juicy peaches.
- To simply lower peaches, use a pointy knife and, once more, rinse it and your arms typically to cut back slippage.
7 Ingredient Filling
- Peaches: Lower the peaches into chunks as a substitute of slices for greatest outcomes.
- Sugar: Granulated sugar sweetens the filling. Be at liberty to make use of brown sugar if desired. I like to make use of all brown sugar on this peach crumble pie recipe.
- Flour: That is my best choice for thickening non-berry pie fillings. Cornstarch is great, however you’d want so much for this pie, and utilizing an excessive amount of ends in an undesirable paste-like texture.
- Lemon Juice: The pie filling tastes a little bit flat with out it. Don’t change with lime.
- Contemporary Ginger (Elective): I’ve stated it earlier than, however one thing that transforms an excellent peach pie into the BEST peach pie is a little bit zing from recent ginger. You possibly can depart it out if desired, or change with 1/4 teaspoon of floor ginger. When you strive it, you’ll possible by no means make peach pie with out it once more!
- Cinnamon: Heat cinnamon spice and pie go hand-in-hand. You’ll love this addition.
- Butter: Like cherry pie, dotting small cubes of butter on prime of the filling helps create a richer filling. You want 2 Tablespoons of butter, which is handy since you use 6 Tablespoons within the pie dough. So simply seize 8 Tablespoons/1 stick of butter (113g) for the recipe.
High Pie Crust
Add the highest crust over your peach pie filling. You possibly can fancily braid the dough as talked about or:
- Lattice: Lattice is a well-liked and basic design for the highest of your pies. I do know many bakers gravitate in the direction of this look, myself included, so I put collectively an in depth The way to Lattice Pie Crust tutorial that will work with any fruit pie filling. Lattice can also be a handy selection as a result of you’ll be able to see when the pie filling is effervescent all around the floor, noting that it’s finished baking.
- Different Designs: Be at liberty to take a look at different pie crust designs.
- Crumble: Or you can do this peach crumble pie. Word the slight variation within the filling to make up for a buttery, candy, cinnamon-spiced topping.
And don’t neglect: An egg wash, created from 1 egg and a little bit of milk, guarantees a crispier crust and helps develop that signature golden sheen. With out it, the pie prime appears boring and lackluster. I additionally like topping the pie with coarse sugar for a glittery crunch, however that’s utterly non-obligatory.
Many Extra Peach Pie Success Ideas & Methods
- Make the Pie Crust Forward of Time: It has to relax for at the least 2 hours, nevertheless it retains nicely within the fridge for as much as 5 days and the freezer for as much as 3 months, so make it upfront and it’ll prevent time on the day you truly make this pie.
- Do Not Use Mushy, Bruised Peaches: Eat them as a substitute of utilizing in a pie.
- Do Not Make the Filling Forward of Time: The peaches will launch an excessive amount of liquid, so it’s greatest to make the filling instantly earlier than you pour/unfold into the underside crust. If you wish to work forward, you’ll be able to peel and chop the peaches, then cowl and refrigerate them for as much as 1-2 days earlier than mixing with the opposite substances.
- Bake for a Lengthy Time: Peach pie takes so much longer than pie recipes like pumpkin pie and pecan pie. The juicy filling ought to be effervescent on the floor almost all over the place and this takes near 75–80 minutes. The interior temperature within the take a look at pies (simple to take with an prompt learn thermometer due to the lattice prime) was round 200°F (93°C) when finished.
- Baking Sheet on Rack Under the Pie: The pie filling often drips because it’s fortunately baking for over an hour. Place a baking sheet on the underside oven rack to catch the bubbled-over juices. For those who actually wish to save your self cleanup time, line it with foil first.
- Begin at an Preliminary Excessive Temperature: 425°F (218°C) for 20 minutes, then the rest at 375°F (190°C). The explanation for the preliminary scorching oven burst is to set the crust and encourage the filling to start thickening faster.
- Cool Fully: Slicing heat will provide you with a soupy slice of pie. Cool for at the least 4 hours at room temperature as a result of the pie filling continues to arrange because it cools.
Comply with all of my success ideas, plus the exact baking and cooling directions beneath for a peach pie filling that units completely.
Juicy? Sure. Soupy? No.
After just a few further years of testing, that is now a perfected peach pie recipe. Because the pie bakes, anticipate a messy, bubbly, and juicy filling. Because the pie cools, the filling units right into a mushy, but sliceable filling. For greatest success, comply with all of my ideas above and watch the video tutorial beneath.
- The crust: Put together both pie crust recipe by step 5.
- Prep the peaches: Peel the peaches after which lower into 1-inch chunks. You want about 8 cups of peach chunks, which is round 1.4kg. You possibly can peel and lower the peaches as much as 1–2 days forward of time. Cowl and refrigerate till able to make the filling.
- In a big bowl, stir the peach chunks, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, ginger, and cinnamon collectively till totally mixed. Set filling within the fridge when you roll out the dough. No have to cowl it.
- Regulate the oven rack to the decrease third place and preheat to 425°F (218°C). Place baking sheet on the underside oven rack to catch any peach juices.
- Roll out the chilled pie dough: On a floured work floor, roll out one of many discs of chilled dough (maintain the opposite one within the fridge). Flip the dough a few quarter flip after each few rolls till you’ve a circle 12 inches in diameter. Rigorously place the dough right into a 9×2-inch spherical pie dish. Tuck it in along with your fingers, ensuring it’s easy. Pour and unfold filling evenly into pie dish. Dot the items of butter on prime of the filling. Put aside at room temperature or within the fridge as you assemble the highest pie crust.
- Organize the lattice: Take away the opposite disc of chilled pie dough from the fridge. Roll the dough right into a circle that’s 12 inches diameter. Utilizing a pastry wheel, sharp knife, or pizza cutter, lower strips of dough; within the pictured pie, I lower 6 2-inch-wide strips. Rigorously thread the strips over and below each other, pulling again strips as essential to weave. (Right here’s a lattice pie crust tutorial when you want visuals.) To seal the sides, use a small paring knife or kitchen shears to trim extra dough that extends greater than 1.5–2 inches over the sting. Fold backside pie dough edges again over and press/meld into the lattice edges to type a easy, neat rim. Flute or crimp the sides with a fork.
- Calmly brush the highest of the pie crust with the egg wash. Sprinkle the highest with coarse sugar, if utilizing.
- Bake the pie on the middle rack at 425°F for 20 minutes; then, conserving the pie within the oven, scale back the oven temperature right down to 375° (190°C). Place a pie crust protect (see Word for selfmade protect) on the sides to forestall them from over-browning. Proceed baking the pie till the filling’s juices are effervescent all over the place, together with within the heart, 45–50 extra minutes. This seems like a very long time, however under-baking the pie means a soupy, paste-like filling. If you wish to be exact, the inner temperature of the filling taken with an prompt learn thermometer ought to be round 200°F (93°C) when finished. Tip: If wanted in the direction of the tip of bake time, take away the pie crust protect and tent a complete piece of foil on prime of the pie if the highest appears prefer it’s getting too brown.
- Take away pie from the oven, place on a cooling rack, and funky for at the least 4 hours earlier than slicing and serving. Filling shall be too juicy if the pie is heat once you slice it.
- Cowl leftovers tightly and retailer within the fridge for as much as 5 days.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: This an ideal pie to make 1 day upfront, as a result of the filling may have time to set in a single day. The pie crust dough may also be ready forward of time and saved within the fridge for as much as 5 days or within the freezer for as much as 3 months. Be at liberty to peel and chop peaches 1–2 days upfront, however don’t combine with the opposite filling substances till you’re able to bake the pie. The peaches will launch an excessive amount of liquid, so it’s greatest to make the filling instantly earlier than you pour/unfold into the underside crust. Baked pie freezes nicely for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge and permit to come back to room temperature earlier than serving.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Pastry Blender, Pie Dish, Rolling Pin, Pizza Cutter for lattice pie dough strips, Vegetable/Fruit Peeler, Citrus Juicer, Pastry Brush, Glowing Sugar, Pie Crust Defend
- Peaches: You need barely agency (not onerous) peaches with zero bruises or mushy spots. Your greatest guess is to buy or choose about 9–10 agency peaches (about 3 kilos), then allow them to sit in a paper bag for 1–2 days to ripen. Some might have mushy spots after this time, so that’s the reason I counsel shopping for a pair greater than you really want. Contemporary peaches are greatest for peach pie, although you will get away with unsweetened frozen peaches. If utilizing frozen, thaw, chop, and blot them dry earlier than utilizing. Canned peaches are usually not preferrred as they’re already too mushy and mushy.
- Ginger: 1–2 teaspoons of recent minced ginger provides distinctive taste. For those who love ginger, use 2 teaspoons. For those who don’t have recent, use 1/4–1/2 teaspoon of floor ginger as a substitute. For those who don’t love ginger, depart it out.
- Crumble Topping: Need to skip the highest crust? Do this peach crumble pie recipe.
- Aluminum Foil Pie Crust Defend: You should buy a pie crust protect or make one from aluminum foil. Lower a 14-inch sq. of aluminum foil. Fold in half. Lower out a 5-inch semi-circle on the folded edge. Unfold. Rigorously match the aluminum foil over the pie crust edges, evenly securing down on the perimeters as greatest you’ll be able to (cautious, the pie is scorching!), leaving the middle of the pie uncovered.
- Braiding Pie Dough: Some images on this submit present a braided pie dough topping, which is an non-obligatory strategy to adorn your pie. To realize the identical look because the braided pie, you’ll want 3 pie crusts. 1 for the underside crust and a couple of for the strips/braiding. (You’ll have scraps leftover, merely mildew right into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for an additional pie.) As you’ll be able to see within the images, I latticed with 6 braids and seven strips whole. The strips had been about 1-inch thick. The braids had been assembled with 3 1/2-inch strips. See my detailed The way to Braid Pie Crust web page for extra ideas.
Baking Made Simple
Are you new to this web site? This e-mail collection is a superb place to begin. I’ll stroll you thru just a few of my hottest recipes and present you precisely why they work.