Katmai Nationwide Park’s brown bears are packing on the kilos in preparation for winter hibernation. Nationwide Park Service rangers and discover.org’s resident naturalist, Mike Fitz, have many stay occasions in retailer this month. And, don’t overlook to look at the famed brown bears of Brooks River daily on discover.org.
Be a part of park rangers and different consultants for in-depth conversations about brown bears, salmon, and different subjects. Discover these occasions on the Brooks Reside Chat channel. And, when you miss any of our stay chats, you’ll find the replays on our Bears and Bison YouTube channel.
- Journeys at Katmai: August 4 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific
“Journeys at Katmai: An Exercise E book for Not-So-Junior Rangers” will permit adults of all ages to study Katmai’s historical past, wildlife, and altering panorama. Some Katmai journeys attain so far as the moon! The lunar-like panorama of the Valley of Ten Thousand Smokes was as soon as a coaching spot for NASA’s Apollo astronauts. Be a part of Katmai rangers Sarah Gage and Lian Legislation for a stay dialogue to study extra in regards to the enjoyable historical past of the Valley and the thrilling new exercise guide.
- The Know-how of Bear Cam: August 10 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific
Lots of discover.org‘s cameras broadcast from distant areas the place their set up and upkeep might be troublesome to say the least. The bearcams at Brooks River in Katmai Nationwide Park, Alaska pose a very distinctive set of challenges. Be a part of Ranger Naomi Boak from Katmai Nationwide Park she talks the tech of the bearcams with discover.org‘s Candice Rusch, Director of New Media, and Joe Pifer, Area Operations Supervisor.
- Bear Monitoring and Science at Brooks River: August 11 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific
The conduct and actions of bears at Brooks River change over time, so what may this imply for Nationwide Park Service managers who’re tasked with defending the wildlife and the way do biologists observe bear use of the river? Be a part of Mike Fitz as he interviews Katmai’s wildlife biologist Leslie Skora on the bear monitoring program at Brooks River, the long-term research to doc bear and human use of the realm.
- Katmai Bear Genetics: August 18 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific
Ranger (and now Dr.) Michael Saxton tells us about his DNA research of the bears of Brooks Falls. Over the previous a number of years Michael collected DNA samples of bears partly to try to perceive the genetic variety of brown bears at Brooks River and alongside Katmai’s Pacific coast. Be a part of Ranger Naomi Boak as she interviews Michael about his analysis and about how local weather change might have an effect on the bears.
Birds of Katmai Nationwide Park: August 20 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific**CANCELED**
Ever surprise what birds you’re seeing on the bearcams? Be a part of Ranger Andrea Willingham for a stay chat all in regards to the birds of Brooks River. It’s a possibility to study extra about Katmai’s frequent flyers, and the way they join our lovely nationwide park to the remainder of the world.
- Mid-Summer time Lifetime of a Katmai Bear: August 25 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific
Fewer bears use Brooks River in August in comparison with July and September, so the place do they go? Be a part of Katmai Nationwide Park rangers Lian Legislation and Naomi Boak as they journey to locations past Brooks River the place bears make a dwelling.
- Katmai’s Lynx and Snowshoe Hares: August 27 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific
Snowshoe hare and lynx are simply two of the various animals that decision Katmai house. Their lives are inextricably linked collectively. Be a part of Ranger Cara Rohdenburg as she delves into this predator-prey relationship.
- Katmai Superintendent Mark Sturm: September 1 at 7 p.m. Jap / 4 p.m. Pacific
What challenges does Katmai face now and sooner or later? Get a superintendent’s perspective on the nationwide park’s present priorities, points, and plans for the longer term when Ranger Naomi Boak interviews Mark Sturm, superintendent of Katmai Nationwide Park.
A favourite of rangers and bearcam followers alike, play-by-plays are stay occasions when rangers and different consultants narrate the bear and salmon exercise at Brooks River. It’s a possibility to study extra in regards to the particular person bears on the cams and the way they survive. Discover these occasions on the Brooks Reside Chat channel. You by no means know what may occur!
- August 5 at 5 p.m. Jap / 2 p.m. Pacific
- August 9 at 5 p.m. Jap / 2 p.m. Pacific
- August 23 at 5 p.m. Jap / 2 p.m. Pacific
- Extra play-by-plays for the month shall be introduced relying on bear exercise.
Chat within the feedback with Mike Fitz, discover.org’s resident naturalist, and rangers from Katmai Nationwide Park throughout our weekly Q & As. Deliver your questions on bears, salmon, and Katmai.
- Discover.org: Each Tuesday from 5 – 7 p.m. Jap / 2 – 4 p.m. Pacific within the feedback on the Brooks Reside Chat channel.
- YouTube Q & As: Each Thursday from 2 – 4 p.m. Jap / 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Pacific within the feedback on the Brooks Falls YouTube web page.
- Tiktok Q & As: Discover these on the discover.org Tiktok channel on August 19, August 26, and September 2 at 5 p.m. Jap / 2 p.m. Pacific.
Ask Your Bearcam Query
Did you see one thing on the bearcams you’re interested in? Or, would you wish to submit a query prematurely for our stay occasions? Ask it right here. Rangers and knowledgeable employees might reply your query in a stay chat, within the bearcam feedback, or in a weblog publish.